Monday, March 23, 2009

Spur of the moment craziness



So to tell this story I need to go back to the end of our Mexico trip. We were on our way home and were waiting in the LAX airport when Amber and Geri said they'd met this cute black man who was waiting at our gate. Well, many of you know my love of dark skinned men so we went back to the gate and I started talking to him. His name was James, he was from Accra, Ghana, and he was in LA for a conference. He was on his way to Austin to stay with some friends and was going on our plane to Utah for a short layover. He was so cute. He asked if I had facebook and I gave him my email address. A couple of days after I got home he sent me an email saying he was sorry that it had taken so long to write and that he hadn't forgotten about me. The friend he was staying with in Texas didn't have internet in the house so he had to go to the library in order to write me. We chatted through email for a day or so and then he asked for my phone number. He called that night and we talked for a while. It was so easy talking to him and he had the cutest giggle. We started talking about how it would be fun to see each other again and he thought he might have enough frequent flyer miles to get a ticket to Utah but I thought it would be fun to go to Texas to see him. I was talking to my mom on a chat and I said that I was going to see him and asked if she wanted to go. I think at first she thought I was kidding but realized that I wasn't. She said that she couldn't go but maybe Amber or Geri would be able to. It took ALOT of convincing but Amber got it worked out so she could go with me. This was on friday night and saturday morning we left for the airport. Of course things couldn't go smoothly for us. Our plane was delayed in Salt Lake which delayed us in Denver which meant we didn't get to Austin until 11:30 p.m. We decided to drive to Seguin which was a small town where James was staying. That in itself was an adventure. Thank goodness for Ambers phone and the GPS system!! We finally made it and crashed at the hotel. The next morning James met us at the hotel and we went to see the Alamo. This was the one thing that Amber absolutely had to see if she was going to be in San Antonio.

After the Alamo we decided to go to Sea World. We knew that this was something that James probably wouldn't get to see. He loved it and we had so much fun.



After Sea World we went downtown to check out the Riverwalk. San Antonio has the San Antonio river flowing through it and they have boats that you can take through the city. It was absolutely beautiful.



That night we went back into Austin to have dinner with my friend John. I actually taught him on my mission several years ago. It was so good to see him again. He gave us a little tour of Austin and we went back to the hotel.


We had a couple of hours the next day so we decided to look at the San Antonio Temple. It was Monday so of course it was closed but we were able to walk around the grounds. It was so beautiful. There were several people working on the flowers and the lawn so we talked to a few of them. They all told us how blessed they felt to have a temple there.


It was sad to have to say good bye to James but I knew that we would keep in touch and if nothing else we would be friends.

1 comment:

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Looks like a fun trip! I just barely saw you had a blog on your facebook page.

Also... Stacy is spreading rumors about you. Are they true???