Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mexico Part One

I have finally made it out of the U.S. Well, I've been to Canada for a day but I don't think that should really count. My mom and Roger and their friend Shelli had a cruise to Mexico planned in February. When Roger passed away my mom thought about canceling the trip but felt like she needed to go. So, she called the company and they were willing to put my name on the plans.
A few weeks before the cruise my friend Amber called me an
d asked if there was anyone that I knew that would share a room on the boat with her. Her husband had suggested that it would be a nice break for her. So, we called my friend Geri and asked her to go. It took a little doing but she was able to go with us!
We flew out of Utah on February 14th to board the ship. We were all so excited to have a break from work and our normal lives. We boarded the Norwegian Star and the fun began!! We spent the first couple of days on the sea but found plenty of things to do. The first night they had a big barbecue on the top deck of the ship. It was so fun to be able to see all of the different people, listen to the music, and have some food.
After the dinner there was a singles night in the lounge. Geri and I went to see who was there and what they were doing. We ended up playing a game called "musical men". Kind of like Musical Chairs but they replaced the chairs with the men. It was so much fun. Geri ended up knocking several people over and winning the game!!
Our first port was Cabo San Lucas. We stepped off the boat and walked down the pier. I had always heard about the people who try to sell you things when you were in port but I didn't really understand until I experienced it. While I was walking down around a man came up to me, probably about my age, and put his arm around my shoulder. He asked if I wanted to buy some jewelry. I said no thanks and kept walking and he kept following me. He told me his name was Freddie and we started talking. He offered to find me a boyfriend to take home with me and he also offered me some marijuana. Don't worry....I didn't take him up on either one!
Geri ended up being swarmed by most of the street vendors. I think they must have seen her coming! I think she ended up buying more jewelry in that one stop than the rest of us did the rest of the trip.
In Cabo we decided to do the whale watching excursion. We boarded a little boat and off we went. The first hour or so was really slow. I was a little disappointed that we hadn't seen anything and then our tour guide found some for us. There were 3 of them. They were a little ahead of our boat but you could see their tails come out of the water and go back under. He said it was the first time he had seen 2 males fighting over a female. It was pretty cool.
Some of you may be wondering what became of Freddie. Well, on the way back to the ship he found me once again and was excited to tell me he had found me a boyfriend! So, we all took our picture together and we departed. Cabo was a fun place. It's a place I would like to go back and spend more time. That is one thing that I don't really like about cruises. You just get to spend a few hours in a place. It's enough to do something fun and decide if you'd like to go back.
Well, that is Mexico Part One. There are so many fun things that happened during our trip. These are just some of the memories. Hope you enjoyed them!




1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm excited to read part two! It looks like you guys had a great time!